SDMS Foundation Sonography Student Scholarship Program
The SDMS Foundation Sonography Student Scholarship Program provides a $2,500 scholarship
to a deserving sonography student who has been accepted or is currently enrolled
in an educational program in diagnostic medical sonography or cardiovascular technology
that has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational
Programs (CAAHEP). Two (2) sonography student scholarships will be awarded this
Scholarships can be used for tuition, books, or educational fees.
Scholarship Application Deadlines
- June 30 (for future educational expenses to be incurred July 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014)
- December 31 (for future educational expenses to be incurred January 1, 2015 through June 30, 2015)
- Current SDMS member in good standing (Corporate/Business/Institution and Supporting
members are not eligible).
- Accepted or enrolled in CAAHEP accredited sonography educational program. Scholarships
are only available for enrollment in educational programs located within the United
- Demonstrate need by fully completing the online SDMS Foundation Sonography Student
Scholarship Program Online Application, including required essay questions (see
Essay Questions Guidelines) and required attachments (including
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Report), before the application deadline.
- Completed applications are reviewed based on eligibility criteria and availability
of scholarship funds.
- All applicants will be notified by email once the scholarship has been awarded (please
allow sixty (60) days after the published scholarship deadline for the applications
to be processed and evaluated).
- Within three (3) weeks of the scholarship being awarded, a check will be mailed
to the scholarship recipient.
here to complete online application
Forms/Documentation You May Need
Essay Question Requirements
The online scholarship application includes three short essay questions (a maximum of
1,000 characters (including spaces) in each essay question). Responses to the essay
questions must comply with these requirements or the application will be disqualified.
Essay question responses are scored anonymously, therefore it is very important that
applicants do not identify themselves, the school they currently/will attend, or city/state
where they live. Failure to remove ALL identifying information will result in the application
not being considered!
There is a limit of 1,000 characters (including spaces) per essay question (a reminder with
character count/ remaining characters is provided below each essay question). Be sure to proof
your essay question responses before submission.
Student Sonographer Scholarship Essay Questions
- Why do you want to be a sonographer and what personal characteristics/traits do
you possess that will make you a good sonographer?
- Describe the goals you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish
these goals. Give at least one specific example that demonstrates your work ethic/diligence.
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your field of
study and your future goals.
Note: Only one SDMS Foundation grant (i.e., one certification examination grant
OR one Annual Conference grant) and one scholarship may be awarded to an individual
in a calendar year.
Grant recipients are responsible for determining the tax implications of all grants received. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions.